#41 Tobiquer

Tobiquer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • LocationPlaster Rock

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:08 PM

The day after halloween, my father went back out to the area where I had killed my buck - we had cameras at two different stand sites, and we knew there were several other bucks in the area. He would change the cards in the cams, and see what we had for action. After work that night, I stopped at dads to see what he had on the cams - not suprisingly, there were a few pics from Oct 29 of the buck I had shot on the 30th, and a few of our regulars - a couple spikes, a 2.5 year old 9 point, and a nice young  5 point with about a 15 inch inside spread. We were however suprised to have several pics of a "new" buck - we dubbed him the wide six. He lacked brow tines, but had a nice size body, and a pretty rack that spread beyond his ears - we decided that this would be dads target buck. Plans were laid for the next morning....

gallery_138_43_787217.jpg

Saturday morning dad picked me up well before first light, and we headed out to our spot. Legal shooting light was still ten minutes away when we got into our ground blind, and settled in to wait. For November second, it was a fairly mild morning, a nice morning to sit and listen to the sound of the woods coming alive. This is my favorite time to be on a whitetail stand - as the first gray of dawn appears, the animals and birds gradually come to life. For a few hours the only company we had was a few squirrels, and a couple of Gray jays, who seemed to be rather disappointed that we didn't have any breakfast to share with them.  Mid morning, nature called - it was time to get rid of a few cups of coffee! We got out of the blind and stretched our legs for a few minutes. Our plan was to stick with it all day - we knew if we put in the time, we had a good chance to get a crack at the buck we wanted, but again things developed faster than I anticipated! As we got settled back into our seats, I looked at my watch - it was 9:36. At 9:38 dad whispered "Theres a deer". A small doe had snuck in quietly, and was eating a few apples. We watched her for a few minutes, and then we both noticed movement in a stand of young poplars about 30 yards beyond the doe. "Another deer" dad said quietly. As soon as he said this I saw a glimpse of its head as it stepped between two trees."It's the wide six" I said. The buck went out of site, but the doe was locked on him, nervously staring in the direction he had disappeared. All of a sudden, she bolted - "Get your gun on the rest dad- he's coming in" I whispered. Dad just got his gun up on the rest, and looked through his scope when the buck appeared. From where I sat, I  could see the whole deer, but from where he was, he could only see part of it. After what seemed like an eternity ( always seems longer when you don't have the gun in your hand- it was likely only 30 seconds), the buck stepped ahead and gave dad the shot he wanted, and he dropped him in his tracks - awesome feeling to be there beside dad, sharing in the moment.

gallery_138_43_1153147.jpg

The rest of the morning was spent taking pictures and dragging - what an awesome way to spend a November Saturday with your father - he was a beauty of a buck - 180 lbs dressed and an 18 inch inside spread on his 6 point rack, memories to last a lifetime!

#42 nbbucks

nbbucks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 920 posts
  • LocationKeswick Ridge

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:21 AM

I was still hunting a nice funnel between a road and a cut on the other side.  It was approx. 8:45 when I heard crunching behind me and to my left.  I turned around and waited and shortly after seen his left side.  I seen good tine length and decided to take him.  He was about 60 yards away and walking fast.  I swung to the next opening and when he hit it I fired one off.  He ran and I fired another.  He stopped and was all hunched up and I fired 2 more.  I went down to where he was and found blood right away.  I walked maybe 30 yards and found him all piled up.  He ended up being an 8 point that went 164.

20131108_090822_zps91c01851.jpg

20131108_090959_zps1aa39109.jpg

20131108_091631_zpscd6e7b47.jpg

"Some people say, well I got meat for my freezer. Well I say how about a big rack for the wall." Legendary Vermont deer hunter.......Larry Benoit

#43 Hunter1

Hunter1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationNew Maryland

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:35 PM

I had a very challenging year to say the least. I was recovering from penumonia while on dialysis and was not nearly in shape to beat the woods like i normally do. I had the last week off and forced myself to hunt through some thicker terrain - but only came up with a small spike to pass up. By end of week I had located a solid trail between two cuts with alot of use and had seen a 6 point and a doe. Went back on Friday for a final push and found a doe waiting for me when I arrived - natural bait. Waited for her to leave, ran a tinks line up the trail and 15 mins later this guy surrendered. Not the biggest buck I have ever shot by far, but one of the more rewarding!

Terry Buck 2013 (2)

#44 Tobiquer

Tobiquer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • LocationPlaster Rock

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:43 PM

Nice bucks  and good stories NBBucks and Hunter1. Stories shared like these are what makes a hunting site interesting.

#45 utopiahunter

utopiahunter

utopiahunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts
  • Locationlake utopia

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:04 PM

Or Seeleys or the golf course haha

golf course is the hot spot on the back 9 ..

#46 bowandgun

bowandgun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Locationmoncton

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:01 PM

DSC00384
 this is my story first day bow season for deer i when to work 7 am till 3 pm long day when your sitting in an office looking out at nice sunny hunting day so left work and drove about 30 minute to my stand was sitting in stand around 4:15 pm ready to go. around 5:30 pm buck come in evening is great its cloudy by now and little wind in my face 15 minute later buck is down. this has never happen before this quick i was blown away not my biggest buck but nice bow kill went home very happy 

#47 Carll

Carll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • LocationNB Canada

Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:05 PM

Oct 22 2013 bow kill, Came in at 6.31 i watched him for 9 mins! finally gave me a good shot and he only went 50 yards!

my 4th deer with a bow two 8 pointers and a doe. Doe was a last day deer in 2003 (good meat)

My biggest buck to date! :)

IMG_0990_zps8f1185a3.jpg

#48 mu'in

mu'in

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationSi-nan'-sis

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:46 PM

DAMN.. that is one nice deer...

"If they run, they'll just die tired"

browning_sig-exp_zpsa59d45fb.png

- Browning BLR PG, .300wsm

- Savage Model 11, .243

- My trusty 1958 Winchester model 12, 12ga

- Limbsaver dz30, Easton FMJ and a muzzy

#49 bowandgun

bowandgun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Locationmoncton

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:39 PM

Carll thats a nice bow kill for sure must be biggest in nb with archery 

#50 ColdLakeLad

ColdLakeLad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:56 PM

Bucksnducks......that looks like Sweet Jesus for those angles.  Was this remotely close to where he used to frequent?

WAMT,

This is "Sweet Jesus".  Different deer.

SwwetJesus2Aug2012.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users