Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  • LocationKeswick Ridge

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:51 PM

Gourgeous buck 45!

Congrats to your ole man nbdeer!

"Some people say, well I got meat for my freezer. Well I say how about a big rack for the wall." Legendary Vermont deer hunter.......Larry Benoit

#22 Savage

Savage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationFairfield

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:56 PM

I got an 8 point Saturday night. Story and pics is in team 4 page.

#23 4570govt

4570govt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationPennfield

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:03 AM

Yesterday my father and I decided to go out bird hunting because I'm tagged out and he hasn't hunted deer much since my mother passed away in 1999. I asked him if he was going to brung his deer rifle and he said no. We headed out around 10:00am to a good bird spot and on the way we talked about his 20ga double that was my mothers uncles gun. He told me how many deer the old fella had shot with the shotgun. While we were driving I saw a deer off the side of road and said geez there is a deer and it's got antlers. I asked if he had slugs and he said he did so I stopped my truck. He stepped out and fiddled with the slugs loading the old savage fox side by side shotgun then walked back about 10 yards to get a better angle. Shot and dropped the deer (a nice 6 point) at about 30-40 yards. The deer never moved the whole time. Anyway, my father taught me to hunt and we hunted a lot together but this is the first deer he harvested while we were out together and his first deer in 14 years. A very un expected and pretty neat experience that I'm unlikely to forget or repeat. Great memories made in 2013. Here are a couple pics of my dad and then dad and I with our 2013 bucks.
06bb276018557da955ecc4f4cdd2cde1_zps5f47
e09196be2ee6e8ec82014309d367df83_zpsa693

#24 utopiahunter

utopiahunter

utopiahunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts
  • Locationlake utopia

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:15 AM

Well since I tagged out in bow season I have been hunting with my niece .She used to go all the time with my father (his sidekick) since he passed away she stopped doing the outdoorsy stuff but this year she asked if I could help her get her deer. She has two little ones herself now and her hubby works out west so we didn't have much time between that and me working sooo long story short we sat 3 times in total first two at a stand I set up close walking distance and the last time at my fathers stand that he used for the last bunch of years when he couldn't walk to far...well on the 14th I had the day off so off we went to sit in stand for a couple hours I had three bucks on cam a big 6 nice 8 and a spike ...first hour and a half saw 6 does and kids .then with time running down I noticed that she was getting cold asked if she wanted to leave ...no she was staying to the last light ..minute later out pops the spike wide open through the shooting lane then seconds later out pops the 8 ..before we sat I told her to wait for a broadside shot and nail him in the shoulder ..he was slightly quarting to us and she put it just in front and took out the outher side he never took a step ..I have never been so pumped.To be there when she took her first deer was very special...

1463587_609989359095179_1830997148_n.jpg

1450916_609895415771240_1964530633_n.jpg

1451412_10151980196093427_929774183_n.jp

oh and the no orange thing we went home and got the bike and warmed up before bringing the deer out...

#25 Rub liners

Rub liners

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 03:16 PM

Nice deer and good story. Congrats to both of you!!

#26 4570govt

4570govt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationPennfield

Posted 17 November 2013 - 03:27 PM

Well, another success this year. The three of us that hunt together are now all tagged out. My buddy shot a nine point this morning that we have been watching for the last two seasons. His only other deer was a spike so we were pretty pumped and it was a pleasure to be support crew for him for a change. Here are a few pics because he's not on this forum yet. Now to get ready for Maine next week and next season here. Good luck all. P.S. The bown ranger was unavailable for photo time but shares this victory with us!

af52db80bd3e4516ffc35ceeaea30bc7_zps85ad

ee2c888fca1b42da79b92a9fea4a0045_zps40dc

00b1664315fc5474fb4aa994cdfc8423_zpsce04

8a8eaca64addcfdf73256fe20bd5fea9_zps3c44

3732440e5269019a6bb1a74533c223f0_zpsba59

414765ed6821b7fc4eddafa9c926599a_zps2e50

#27 anticostiguide

anticostiguide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNorth East N.B.

Posted 17 November 2013 - 03:32 PM

Great work boys...Congrats on geat hunts!!!

AG

#28 bucksnducks

bucksnducks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:47 AM

Nice deer guys.

Here is another buddy's buck.

He's a mainframe 10 with stickers everywhere giving him 18.  He field dressed 220.

WP_20131117_006_zpsad5ef6d1.jpg

WP_20131117_009_zps39f13fe7.jpg

#29 utopiahunter

utopiahunter

utopiahunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts
  • Locationlake utopia

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:48 AM

that's a whopper..Wow..

#30 takin'time

takin'time

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • LocationSussex

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:45 PM

he has it all, points, width and MASS...love it, great Buck

#31 Country Paradise

Country Paradise

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:44 PM

That is a big buck! is this the same guy from last year that shot the big buck? Just curios looks like same truck. Congrats to him on AWSOME buck

#32 anticostiguide

anticostiguide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNorth East N.B.

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:11 PM

WOW! Congrats..a shooter for shure.

#33 bucksnducks

bucksnducks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:03 AM

That is a big buck! is this the same guy from last year that shot the big buck? Just curios looks like same truck. Congrats to him on AWSOME buck

It is the same truck but he didnt shoot the buck. He was 'guiding' on Sunday - he tagged out on an 8pt the first week. 

#34 Keep Hammering

Keep Hammering

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationN.B. Canada

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:07 AM

Anybody hear about a gigantic split brow tine buck with 2 huge double drops shot this weekend in the Doaktown area? I got a pic sent to me via a friend you said it's a buddy of his co-workers from out there. I didn't recognize the hunter in the photo but that's not saying anything since there are a lot of people I don't know out there now, called my uncle out there who is a big hunter and he never heard of anything. I'm a little suspicious of the picture. You can only see a little bit of a licence plate but it just does not seam like a NB plate and for some reason the picture just looks familiar like I have seen it before. If its legit its pretty crazy for a NB buck for sure.

#35 nbdeerhunter

nbdeerhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationSouthEast NB

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:11 PM

seen a pic of a huge buck shot in the Havelock area. Rack on this thing is nuts. It starts too look more like moose than deer. One side is thick and had a flat board shape too it. I will try to track down a pic and get it uploaded

Weapons List
Savage  LH 116 Weather Warrior 30-06
Savage model 99 300sav
Remington 1100 12ga semi

Marlin 795 22lr semi

nbdeerhunter@gmail.com

#36 adamNB1

adamNB1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:13 PM

Hey guys - got my first buck last Friday!  5 points, but a great size body. About 160 dressed. 

It came in to a rattle and a doe bleat at ~5:10pm Friday. Despite a nice heart shot, he was able to plunge himself pretty deep into some thick woods before dropping - so it took about 45 minutes to find. While I was looking, I was hearing a sizable pack of coyotes about .75 km away.. I was starting to get concerned and was about to call some others for help looking, but thankfully I found him.

1475808_10153485329590453_1227733718_n.j

Character: how you treat those who can do nothing for you

#37 WAMT

WAMT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:20 AM

It is the same truck but he didnt shoot the buck. He was 'guiding' on Sunday - he tagged out on an 8pt the first week. 

Bucksnducks......that looks like Sweet Jesus for those angles.  Was this remotely close to where he used to frequent?

#38 bucksnducks

bucksnducks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:39 AM

Bucksnducks......that looks like Sweet Jesus for those angles.  Was this remotely close to where he used to frequent?

10-11kms as the crow flies from the camp.

#39 Tobiquer

Tobiquer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • LocationPlaster Rock

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:48 PM

Congrats to all the successful hunters- nice story Utopia- seeing someone get their first buck really reminds you what hunting is all about.

For a variety of reasons the 2013 deer season will go down as one of my most memorable.  Back in the summer my next door neighbor (17 years old) approached me and asked me if I would take him deer hunting this fall. I'm always glad to see kids interested in hunting, so I jumped at his request. I told him that I would not guarantee him a buck, but I would take him hunting, and we'd give it our best try. The summer flew by, and in August I started putting cams out in my usual haunts, and getting some decent pics. I had a spot picked out  already - I had successfully hunted this stand in 2012 and had pics of several different bucks there that year. If the action was as good there in 2013 as it was in 2012, I figured it would be ideal.

When October arrived, I started taking him with me on scouting trips, and checking cameras. He asked lots of questions, and was getting eager for opening day. By the weekend before rifle season I had three different stands where I was getting regular buck action, but I knew where we would spend opening day. My 2012 stand had two bucks coming in like clock work - a small spike, and a nice yearling 7 point - an ideal first buck.

Opening morning dawned cool and clear - we were sitting in our stand before first light. We had been to the range, I had coached him on deer vitals and where to shoot - I was confident he could do the job, we only needed a buck to co-operate.

The first hour and a half went by slowly, just a few squirrels running around, when all of a sudden a hand hits my leg - I looked over and his eyes were as big around as dinner plates! "DEER" - he said! He had a different angle of view than I did - I couldn't see the deer yet. "Is it a buck ?" I whispered. "YES" He replied. "Well, let him come in, and when he turns broadside, you know what to do" I coached.  I give him credit, because that buck wandered around for five more minuted before it gave him the shot he wanted , and he kept his cool - I think I was more worked up than he was! I really wanted to see him get this deer! Finally, everything lined up properly, and bang - down he went!

gallery_138_43_685.jpg

One of my best deer hunts ever, by far.

#40 Tobiquer

Tobiquer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • LocationPlaster Rock

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:19 PM

I had been concentrating so much on my neighbors hunt, that I had not given a lot of consideration to my own hunting. Other commitments had kept me out of the field in bow season. I had some action at a few different stands, but no bucks I wanted to shoot as of the beginning of rifle season. But after tagging his buck on opening morning,I had told my neighbor that he could come hunting with me an evening or two the first week. Tuesday we didn't hunt, but I was at his house Wednesday (Oct 30) when school got out. We had a 45 minute drive, so it was about 4pm or shortly after when we got into our stand. I had no great expectations for this particular hunt- like I said earlier, I hadn't got a pic of a good shooter buck yet ( to my knowledge - I apparently had, but hadn't checked my camera for a few days!). But I knew hunting involved putting in your time, so tonight I would begin logging my time. I figured we would surely see a few does or a small buck, and it would give us a chance to watch some deer do their thing, maybe learn a thing or two. All was quiet until about 5 pm, when a doe and two fawns blew through without slowing down - I didn't think they had seen or winded us, but they didn't stick around. At 530 a small doe passed through, but she didn't stick around either, seemed to be acting nervous. This put me on edge, and I slid my gun up onto my shooting rest. Nothing moved until about 620, and a buck appeared 60 yards directly in front of us. He never made a sound coming in, and kind of suprised me, but my gun was in position, and I had the scope on him instantly. Light was fading, but as soon as I got him in the scope, I knew it was a buck I hadn't seen before, and I also knew it was a shooter. He was slightly quartering towards me, and all I could see was his head and neck/brisket. As I watched him through the scope I thought, just one more step. He took one more step out into the open, BANG- down he went. Not a perfect shot, slightly right of where I aimed, but it cut his spine and dropped him in his tracks. A quick finisher and it was all over. Two bucks in two hunts! I told my neighbor that deer hunting isn't always like this - more often than not you'll sit in a stand and freeze your a$$ off waiting for a buck, but when success comes, enjoy it!

This guy dressed out at just over 200 lbs (cabelas scales), so I was glad for the extra hand dragging. No field photos - we had no camera! Imagine a teenager forgetting his cell phone (hes got deer fever bad too I guess), only pics are hanging in my fathers shed.

gallery_138_43_467711.jpg

Good start to the season, but we weren't done yet ...... next story tomorrow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users