#1 Country Girl

Country Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • LocationHillsborough

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:44 PM

Do any of you guys/gals bottle your meat?

I've eaten lots of bottled meat, but have never bottled my own. We plan on bottling 40-50 lbs of this years moose. Curious what you guys use. Want it to be simple (love the flavor of moose meat lol)....is onion, salt & pepper all that is normally used? I know a few people that also add garlic.

Any ideas/suggestions greatly appreciated! :D
"When he was young, I told Dale Jr. that hunting and racing are a lot alike. Holding that steering wheel and holding that rifle both mean you better be responsible."
Dale Earnhardt

#2 JPryde

JPryde

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationFlorenceville

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:07 PM

I bottled some caribou this year (trip up to Quebec). I bought a canner from Canadian tire that held 7 - 500ml bottles (I think it was around $20).
All I put in it was a slice of onion and some salt. It was delicious.
I tried a couple of bottles with garlic but i preferred with out it.
If your interested I can send you the recipe. There isn't much to it.

Jim

#3 styk

styk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:24 PM

When bottling meat, the use of a pressure cooker is highly recommended. I started bottling deer meat a couple of years ago. I have 2 pressure cookers that holds 6x500 ml bottles each. Takes about 3 hours each load, that's bringing it up to pressure, cooking and cooling.

Here's some basic info for canning(bottling) meats. I add union and salt to the raw meat packed in layers.
Posted Image

#4 pond jumper

pond jumper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • LocationDouglas Harbour

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:30 PM

I bottle a lot of meat, deer mostly but duck and goose is also good, i just use salt and thats it

Blood, sweat and FEATHERS!!

Winchester 1300 12ga

Ithica SKB semi auto 12 ga

Remington  870 wingmaster 12ga

T/C dimension 22-250rem

Savage Axis .308win

Marlin 336  30-30win

Savage 93  17hmr

Marlin 795 .22lr

#5 Country Girl

Country Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • LocationHillsborough

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:02 AM

JPryde, that would be great if you could send me the recipe!

We plan to borrow a friends pressure cooker as I've heard that's the best way to do it! Hoping the bottled moose turns out good, then if/when I get a deer this year, we'll bottle most of it too. Guess I had better add a pressure cooker to my Christmas wish list! haha

Thanks guys for all the tips. Greatly appreciated! :)
"When he was young, I told Dale Jr. that hunting and racing are a lot alike. Holding that steering wheel and holding that rifle both mean you better be responsible."
Dale Earnhardt

#6 Hunttoomuch

Hunttoomuch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationCarleton County

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:08 AM

CG, a trick I do is too add a level teaspoon of Montreal steak spice in the bottle as well. Talk about good. This is for the liter sized bottles.

#7 nbdeerhunter

nbdeerhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
  • LocationSouthEast NB

Posted 28 September 2010 - 12:20 PM

CG, a trick I do is too add a level teaspoon of Montreal steak spice in the bottle as well. Talk about good. This is for the liter sized bottles.

thats what I do too. Salt - onion and some steak spice
I use my outdoor propane burner with a big pot that comes with a bottling rack. I can do 6 large bottles at a time. I just let it boil for 3hrs
Its not hard to do at all

1. make sure your bottles are clean
2. New seals are a must
3. cut your meat into cubes around 1 inch in size (trim as much fat off as possible)
4. layer your meat / salt/ onion / spices (whatever you want to use) in the bottle until its about 90% full
5. put seal on and screw cover on ( do not tighten) keep it a bit loose
6. only use enough water in the pot so the bottles are in the water and not up past the covers.
7. boil for 3 - 3 1/2 hrs
8. remove from water and put bottles upside down immediately, you will here the seals pop once they start to cool. After its cooled down tighten down the lids
9. your done and ready to enjoy

tips that I use
- I use about 1 tbsp of salt in total per mason jar (the larger ones)
- keep onion pieces fairly large in size
- don't put the spices all in 1 place. use a layered affect

if you really want to try something get some mini carrots and potatoes and put a few of those in too...instant stew

this is how I butcher and prepare the entire front end of my deer. I keep the backstrap and rear for steaks. anything left gets ground into sausage

Weapons List
Savage  LH 116 Weather Warrior 30-06
Savage model 99 300sav
Remington 1100 12ga semi

Marlin 795 22lr semi

nbdeerhunter@gmail.com

#8 lovemylab

lovemylab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 01:55 PM

So do you need a pressure cooker or just a canner?

#9 nbdeerhunter

nbdeerhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
  • LocationSouthEast NB

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:48 PM

either one

Weapons List
Savage  LH 116 Weather Warrior 30-06
Savage model 99 300sav
Remington 1100 12ga semi

Marlin 795 22lr semi

nbdeerhunter@gmail.com

#10 frosty mornin'

frosty mornin'

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:55 PM

I see alot of people keep saying pressure cooker,but seems that i heard somewhere that a "Pressure CANNER" should be used which is supposed to be somewhat different than a normal pressure cooker.Anybody know the difference?

#11 Country Girl

Country Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • LocationHillsborough

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:40 PM

No idea what the difference would be between a pressure cooker or pressure canner.

I'm totally new to this bottling thing! haha I usually take the easy way out and take the game to the butcher, have them do all the work, bring it home & put it in the freezer or frying pan! lol

Thanks to everyone for their tips/recipes.
Dale Earnhardt

#12 JPryde

JPryde

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationFlorenceville

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:43 AM

nbdeerhunter, I like your idea of the potatoes and carrots. I am going to give that a try next time I bottle some meat.

Thanks

#13 Country Girl

Country Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • LocationHillsborough

Posted 02 October 2010 - 07:57 PM

I see alot of people keep saying pressure cooker,but seems that i heard somewhere that a "Pressure CANNER" should be used which is supposed to be somewhat different than a normal pressure cooker.Anybody know the difference?

I just bought a 22 qt pressure cooker tonight. On the box it said that it came with a canning system. When flipping through the manual, it refers to this "pot" as a pressure cooker/canner.

The canning system that came with it, consists of 2 racks. One for keeping your bottles off the bottom of the pot and the other one is for adding an additional layer of bottles to your pot.

So maybe when the racks are in place it's considered a pressure canner? lol :huh:

I think I'm about set to make my first batch of bottled meat. The only thing that still has me slightly confused is....this pressure cooker comes with 3 pressure settings, 5 psi, 10 psi & 15 psi. The manual explains everything in depth EXCEPT for deciding what pressure setting should be used! lol

What do you guys use for psi???
Dale Earnhardt

#14 Hunttoomuch

Hunttoomuch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationCarleton County

Posted 02 October 2010 - 09:32 PM

I just bought a 22 qt pressure cooker tonight. On the box it said that it came with a canning system. When flipping through the manual, it refers to this "pot" as a pressure cooker/canner.

The canning system that came with it, consists of 2 racks. One for keeping your bottles off the bottom of the pot and the other one is for adding an additional layer of bottles to your pot.

So maybe when the racks are in place it's considered a pressure canner? lol :huh:

I think I'm about set to make my first batch of bottled meat. The only thing that still has me slightly confused is....this pressure cooker comes with 3 pressure settings, 5 psi, 10 psi & 15 psi. The manual explains everything in depth EXCEPT for deciding what pressure setting should be used! lol

What do you guys use for psi???

I don't use a pressure cooker anymore but when I did I kept the pressure around 12-13 psi. I would think that 10 would be fine. What do they recommend for cooking times?

#15 Country Girl

Country Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • LocationHillsborough

Posted 03 October 2010 - 07:37 AM

My cooker comes with a manual, but the omit to tell you how to cook anything! lol

Styk posted a good link above. Looks like I should cook it at 10 psi for 90 min for the quart bottles and 75 min for pint bottles.

I found this manual online for another cooker. Pg 19 shows the instructions for bottling meat. http://www.gopresto....tions/01781.pdf
Dale Earnhardt

#16 manny

manny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationDieppe N.B

Posted 03 October 2010 - 07:09 PM

Do any of you guys/gals bottle your meat?

I've eaten lots of bottled meat, but have never bottled my own. We plan on bottling 40-50 lbs of this years moose. Curious what you guys use. Want it to be simple (love the flavor of moose meat lol)....is onion, salt & pepper all that is normally used? I know a few people that also add garlic.

Any ideas/suggestions greatly appreciated! :D

Hey country girl. Where did you get your cooker if you dont mind me asking? I,ve been looking for one .

#17 Country Girl

Country Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • LocationHillsborough

Posted 04 October 2010 - 11:07 AM

Canadian Tire, actually! lol
Great price.... $129 for 22 qt.

It's quite a large pot. It will do 5 qts at a time, or it will do 16 pints (as you're able to stack them) The pot comes with 2 canning racks. One to put on the bottom of the pot to keep the bottles off the bottom of the pot and the second for putting in a second layer of bottles.

I picked mine up at the Mtn Rd store. There was only one on the shelf...that being said, there was only enough room for 1 on the shelf...just checked online & it shows that they have them in stock, updated yesterday, so they probably have more out back.

Here's the pot... http://www.canadiant...9.jsp?locale=en
Dale Earnhardt

#18 manny

manny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationDieppe N.B

Posted 04 October 2010 - 06:36 PM

Thanks Country Girl. Looks like the one i,m looking for. will check it out .Thanks again.

#19 Country Girl

Country Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • LocationHillsborough

Posted 06 October 2010 - 04:55 PM

np, manny.

Just tried mine out today. Bottled a batch of moose meat in quart bottles and a batch in pints. All lids have "snapped" & sealed. Now to see how long I can wait before taste testing it! :D
Dale Earnhardt

#20 redtail

redtail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:26 PM

I canned meat once time (bottled).

I cooked the meat first in large pots then put the cooked meat covered with broth in mason jars, brought to a boil for a few minutes and sealed them. Turned out real good and kept well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users