• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Canuguy

Canuguy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:33 PM

Looking for a cheap but new (or as-new) 20G single shotgun for partridge hunting.

90% is putting along on the ATV and jumping off in mad-dash to get that bird.

Faulkners has an H&R 20G for $200 but it's a 26" barrel.  My old Cooey that's duct-taped together has a 28" barrel.  Will I really regret getting a barrel that's 2" shorter?

#2 Black1987

Black1987

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationRiverview, NB

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:08 PM

Man those old cooeys are good tho my father has one and I have shot hundreds of birds with that over the yrs, personally a longer barrel would be better with a full choke, ur hunting style seems the same as mine for birds and sometimes a long shot is required... Anyway my uncle has one of them faulkners, it is a cheap gun but he's had ok luck with it, very light so it kicks a little more than the old cooey from 30 yrs ago
Pse stinger 3g 70lbs
Rem 700 bdl .270win w/bushnell legend
Rem 870 supermag 12g synthetic pump w/truglo
Ruger mini 14 .223 w/bushnell sportsman
Cil single shot .410
Cooey single shot bolt .22lr

#3 dand883

dand883

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:20 AM

Most 20ga shotguns that i have seen and used have 26" barrels, 28" is usually more used with 12ga. I think you'd be fine for close in on partridge, as long as you're not trying for ducks or anything.

#4 Jim

Jim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationSouthern New Brunswick

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:13 AM

Choke has more impact then barrel length on long shots. Shotgun shells use extremely fast burning powders and do not loose performance due to barrels being either 26 or 28" and really don't loose velocity until somewhere shorter then 18". The reason hunting shotguns have traditionally had 26" or longer barrels is because the longer barrel helps to smooth out swing when shooting flying birds or running rabbits. For longer shots at ruffed grouse a modified or full choke is what you want. A tight choke does have a down side though, you want to make sure you know where the shot is going at close range. cause you can ruin a birds breast with a full choke at close range, so you may want to be able to place the shot in the head.

#5 SuperCub

SuperCub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:28 PM

I've used the Baikal single shot a fair bit over the years. Had one for quite a while and sold it off. Just bought another to replace it. I like them as they don't have a hammer and there is a sliding button safety in front of the trigger. Easier to use and safer for kids not fumbling around with a hammer with small hands.

#6 44mag

44mag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationSalisbury

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:59 AM

I bought my Baikal new in 1985 and still going strong with no problems, light , no hammer , and puts them down with no. 4/5 shot

#7 VersaMax95

VersaMax95

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationGrand Falls NB

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:53 AM

Looking for a cheap but new (or as-new) 20G single shotgun for partridge hunting.

Faulkners has an H&R 20G for $200 but it's a 26" barrel.  My old Cooey that's duct-taped together has a 28" barrel.  Will I really regret getting a barrel that's 2" shorter?

You can't go wrong with the H&R pardner, been using one for years now, from shooting skeet to partridge hunting, for the price, its hard to beat!! i am pretty sure you can them somewhere's cheaper then 200$$

Any Load, Anywhere, Everytime!! VM.

T/C Pro hunter .300 win mag
H&R pardner single shot 12 gauge
Remington Versa Max 12 gauge
Ruger 10/22 .22LR sporter stainless

#8 Maritime Storm

Maritime Storm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationRiverview, NB

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:23 AM

Both the Baikal IZH-18 and the H&R Pardner are both good guns are roughly the same price, both will provide years of service if well cared for. The real question is do you want a hammer gun or not? Personally I prefer a hammer gun myself.

Save the earth, Ban Slushboxes and PETA.

#9 SuperCub

SuperCub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationSaint John

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:35 AM

The only reason I don't like the hammer is that it's harder for a young shooter with small hand to safely manipulate and operate than a similar hammerless Baikal.

Other than that ...... hammer away!

#10 VersaMax95

VersaMax95

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationGrand Falls NB

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:50 PM

The only reason I don't like the hammer is that it's harder for a young shooter with small hand to safely manipulate and operate than a similar hammerless Baikal.

Other than that ...... hammer away!

yep thats right!! all comes down to preference!!

#11 abuckisabuck

abuckisabuck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:24 PM

I've had both Baikal and H&R Pardner and both are top shelf for the money.  I'm leaning to the Baikal as the better of the two but on the kid note, the action release lever under and behind the trigger guard takes some getting used to since it can pinch those little hands when they close the action if they're a little distracted.   Still have the Baikal, sold the H&R but only cuz I needed money in my school days.

#12 Woolly

Woolly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationHanwell, NB

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:54 AM

LeBaron's has the H&Rs for $173.95.  See if Faulkner's will honour their "The Dealer that won't be undersold" pledge.  They wouldn't for me.  And don't let them do the "well you will have to pay shipping" thing.  What does it cost just in gas, to drive to MacAdam and back?  What about wear and tear?  Also, make sure they have the gun in stock BEFORE you drive there.  Mark down who you were talking to and the date and time.  Have them physically go out back and check, their guns are NOT in a computer inventory so they need to physically look to be sure.  If you end up driving there and "Sorry, it is out of stock", you will have wasted a lot of time, money and energy for nothing.  If you decide to buy a used gun there, get them to have their licensed on staff gunsmith to at least function check it BEFORE you pay for it!!!!  If you have to drive back,  to either get it fixed or replaced any savings will be long gone. 

#13 VersaMax95

VersaMax95

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationGrand Falls NB

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:14 AM

I would also check canadian tire, if they sell guns in your town, they are priced pretty well here i think they are going for 159.99 for the H&R pardner.

#14 Marc

Marc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:07 PM

x2 on the H&R pardner. I've had mine since 1992 and it works flawless. And being so short it makes it easy to move around in the woods. However my 20g has more recoil than my 12g single shot. 

#15 Deerhide

Deerhide

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:43 PM

Don't worry about the length of the barrel. But do 'pattern' whatever shotgun with whatever shells you use so you will know where the centre of the pattern is. 

#16 Operator

Operator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:14 PM

Just bought an Optima SB-P around 6 weeks ago. So far it performs very well and I have really enjoyed shooting with it. Perfect pattern for ruffed grouse and even took a rabbit last week using 7 1/2 shot. Gun is light and short, perfect for getting through the thick brush, very simple to use and clean, and i really like that it folds in half and fits into my backpack.

For $189.00 its a great deal in my opinion!!

Why buy at the store what you can harvest from Mother Nature?

You think you have enough guns.....until the zombies come.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users