#1 Wardo

Wardo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
  • LocationWillow Grove

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:29 PM

I haven't seen anyone post this, but I want to make sure everyone reads it.

That scumbag mentioned here (Mark Arsenault) paints the picture exactly. Creating jobs for people to thin their softwood plantations is "too costly" when the Province of NB is willing to pay ALL of the costs of air bombing the crown forest with Round-Up.

-------------------------

N.B. biologist says herbicides harm wildlife

Rod Cumberland suggests province return to the pre-chemical days of silviculture when people did the work 

BY CHRIS MORRIS

LEGISLATURE BUREAU

The wildlife biologist who managed New Brunswick's deer herds for over two decades says herbicide spraying of Crown forests is a major factor in the decline of the province's deer population.

Rod Cumberland, a Department of Natural Resources biologist for 22 years before leaving last year, is adding his voice to environmental concerns over the province's use of herbicides to eliminate hardwoods in softwood plantations on Crown lands.

'Herbicides kill hardwood trees and deer eat hardwood trees so in my simple mind that is a simple
 equation: we are killing what deer need to eat,' Cumberland said in an interview.

The province has been spraying herbicides since the 1970s, treating between 12,000 and 14,000 hectares of Crown land softwood plantations and cutover areas annually.

Cumberland said that in roughly the same period of time, deer populations in New Brunswick have plummeted to fewer than 80,000 today, from well over 200,000.

He said many deer have abandoned the Crown forests to browse closer to urban centres and in suburban backyards.

'We plant nice gardens that deer love and they are not stupid - they are where the food is,' he said.

This year's herbicide spray program is just getting underway and the Conservation Council of New Brunswick has asked the provincial government to suspend the spraying, especially since Health Canada is currently reviewing the safety of
 the herbicides.

'It's disconcerting these products are still being used and we don't really know they are safe,' said Tracy Glynn of the conservation council.

But Mark Arsenault, president and CEO of the New Brunswsick Forest Products Association, said only a very small area of Crown land is treated with the spray, which the industry considers a highly effective tool in forest management.

'They (the conservation council) paint a bleak picture that doesn't reflect the realities,' Arsenault said in an interview. 'The amounts used are very small and they allow us to grow more and better quality softwood on a smaller parcel of land, freeing up much more Crown land to have natural, regenerated and biodiverse forests elsewhere. You can get more wood off a small parcel of land when it is managed.' Arsenault said only one per cent of Crown land sees any forestry
 activity in a given year and only a small part of that one per cent receives herbicide applications - usually the portions that are replanted with softwood. He said about 13 per cent of Crown lands have softwood plantations on them.

The Health Canada review of the herbicides - specifically glyphosate-based herbicides sold under such trade names as Roundup, Vision and Vision Max - will be completed in 2014.

The review began in 2010 following an earlier decision by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to re-evaluate glyphosate.

Cumberland said that while industry downplays the impact, he has personally witnessed major changes during the more than two decades he has worked in the woods as a wildlife biologist.

Cumberland said the province would be well advised to return to the pre-chemical days of silviculture when people did the work.

'That's all we hear in New Brunswick - there are no jobs,' he said. 'Well my gracious if you put guys back out there with spacing saws, you can employ a pile of peopleā€¦ In my mind it is not rocket science.' Arsenault said such a solution would be too costly.

Cumberland and a fellow biologist, J.M. DeVink, are publishing a scientific paper on the issue.

The province conducts the annual herbicide spray program. The Department of Natural Resources did not respond to requests for comment.

On its website, the provincial department states that the spraying takes place for about 40 days from mid-August to late September.

Several provinces have moved away from the sprays. Quebec has outlawed herbicide spraying since 2001 and. Nova Scotia is no longer funding herbicide spraying of their public forest.

#2 Bam

Bam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationSouthern NB

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:40 PM

good post Wardo.... It needs to stop...recently I was talking to a conservation officer and he told me that the moose is on the decline in zone 20 and they are not sure of the reason... I replied that it wouldn't be because of all the softwood plantations or all the spraying that has been done over the years- maybe just coincidence! I got no answer... IMO the forestry people should be ashamed ...cant use it on me lawn but hey we can spray the woods lmao...our deer moose and many other critters would be in allot better shape without it and with more game would come more revenue for the gov and if not I believe someday crown land hunting will be a thing of the past....great job Rod ...cheers Bam

#3 bucksnducks

bucksnducks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:45 PM

There was also a piece on the CBC news tonight as well.

#4 whaler

whaler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:35 AM

Great article as I read this in yesterday's paper.

I hope that this government will wake up!!

I really don't think so. I used to think they listened to the citizens of Newbrunswick, but very clearly they don't!

We all need to keep this in the news.

Good posting gents!

The Whaler!

#5 lobsterman

lobsterman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:56 AM

The minister told me once, "You know, they only spray about 2% of all of the Crown land."

Couldn't help but chuckle a bit, though I meant no disrespect.

"Minister, I guess I must hunt right smack in the middle of that two per cent!"

#6 Bilingual Hunter

Bilingual Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationDieppe, NB

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:53 AM

Here is an article just posted on CBC NB :

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...cide-spray.html

#7 predatorhunter

predatorhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationSalisbury

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:21 AM

I like how the "Comments are closed" at the bottom of the article so you can't comment on it.  They probably already know what would be said if the public were allowed to comment.

Was out 4 wheeling last year and saw a helicopter in the distance flying really low.  When we got there a guy told us that they were spraying, and we probably didn't want to drive into the area. 

#8 mcoolguy

mcoolguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationMiramichi

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:15 PM

We will never see good deer numbers in this province again until the spraying stops.  No amount of deer management by any competent deer biologist(which we did/do have) will have any effect until more habitat is made available to deer.

#9 mcoolguy

mcoolguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationMiramichi

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:26 PM

The minister told me once, "You know, they only spray about 2% of all of the Crown land."

Couldn't help but chuckle a bit, though I meant no disrespect.

"Minister, I guess I must hunt right smack in the middle of that two per cent!"

There are around 8 milion acres of Crown Land in this province. 2% X 8 million is 160000 acres of deer habitat.  Do they spray a "new" 2% every year?. Hmmm!

#10 Wardo

Wardo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
  • LocationWillow Grove

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:58 PM

Lines like this from DNR (Which I've gotten back in every email I've sent to Bruce) make me very angry:
"The herbicide program is essential to the future of New Brunswick's forestry industry"

No Bruce, it's not at all "essential". 

you-keep-using-that-word1.jpg

#11 Sako

Sako

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • LocationIN the woods

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:16 PM

There never was any doubt why the herbicide was being used. It's typical to put cost above everything. Cost dictates what are the facts , especially when the "facts" come from the companies that produce and sell the products. It's hard to understand why Health Canada didn't act before now. It would be interesting to see what the ratio is for the spray, since as Mark Arsenault stated, the amounts are very small.

#12 Brian J

Brian J

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationGrand Lake (Newcastle Centre/Minto area) NB

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:18 PM

Good job guys in bringing this fwd.  We all need to keep at this with government and the public as it is as important as any issue that you can deal with in relation to not only healthy animal population but our children. Environment and NBPower do their very best to try to ignore us but you have to keep up the fight to end this dangerous spraying.

#13 deerdreamer

deerdreamer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:02 PM

I think this has been posted before... but it bears repeating. Here's the "crown land herbicide program" from GeoNB

You can see the vast tracts of land they're spraying...

http://geonb.snb.ca/herbicide/

Uggh....

#14 Cdog

Cdog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationGrand Manan.

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:37 PM

Interesting that all of the island is colored....as far as I know they only do the power lines?

#15 Sako

Sako

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • LocationIN the woods

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:46 PM

Cdog, the plant yard is done as is the substation and the gas terminal. I don't know if any of the line has been done.

#16 WAMT

WAMT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:04 AM

Some facts will be coming soon, but here is one to stew on.........the annual 1% of herbicide spraying in NB eliminates enough food for 26,000 deer per annum.........this has been going on for 20 years

Time to start sending letters to your MLA and the Minister........it worked in saving half the deer wintering ground

#17 whaler

whaler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:53 AM

I have got the same responce from the Minister!

All this government is concerned about is keeping Irving happy.

Do you all remember when Northrop had a meeting Sussex with the private Woodlot group? He made an announcement which this group was happy with.

It was on the news about a year ago.

It wasn't 4 days later he withdrew his announcement. Why you ask? He got a call from Irving. Yep, true story.

The DNR spend most of their time working for Irving and we pay for it!

Why does the government pay for spraying.......? To keep Irving happy.

Irving wanted the deer yards for cutting......what happened? Irving got that too! For the most part anyway.

Yes , wright the letters, send the emails, stand outside the Ledgeislature......it won't matter much.

Their minds are made up and they don't listen!

I have just spent the last 10 years fighting to bring the Wild Turkey back to NB. Everyone was backing this even the premier and ministers.

What happend you ask??

They slammed the door. Also, they don't have the balls to officialy tell us!

Remember this, when we elect a party to power....they spend the next 3.5 years trying to stay elected.

See you all on election day!

The Whaler!

#18 WAMT

WAMT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:59 PM

Whaler, Why did JDI not want Wild Turkeys?

#19 WAMT

WAMT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:13 PM

All the more reason to put the screws to JDI and get the a-holes to stop spraying 

#20 whaler

whaler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:07 PM

Gents

Thanks for letting me rant (above).

Didn't want to imply that Irving was the cause of our demise with regards to turkeys.

I don't know officially who or why. I have some pretty good ideas why but I will keep those to myself.

My point is that Irving controls our government. It is that simple.

The Whaler!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users