#1 oldwool

oldwool

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationFredericton, NB

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:35 PM

This is an odd topic I know, and maybe it was already discussed who knows.

I have read an article in a magazine a while back about the effect of human urine on deer coming into a hunted area. If I remember correctly the results of the study were that human urine odor had no effect on deer. Needless to say the results really surprised me.

Im sure its happened to all of us we just crawl into the blind or climb the stand and nature calls. This happens to me a lot probably most every time if its cold. Not going to lie i have relieved myself in a gatorade bottle a time or two while sitting in my blind. What do you guys do? Any experience with deer coming in despite having taken a leak on the ground next to your stand/blind? What are your thoughts? Does a deer associate the smell with danger? Is going in a bottle really necessary? My buddies make fun of me for it but im not one to take chances and scent control is first priority as most of you know. :D I sure hope nobody stumbles upon my blind and is thirsty and grabs one of my pi** jugs.

It aint all about the rack, its about the track.

Marlin 336 .35 Rem.

Remington 7600 .30-06

Savage 340 .30-30

Browning BPR .22 mag.

#2 gchase

gchase

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:02 PM

Scraprack: I hunt my stands three days in a row from dark till dark. I’m older than most and when I have to pee, I have to pee. Like you I use a piss bottle, I don’t pee in my bed or in my truck and sure don’t pee out of my stand. I can not smell as good as a buck but I sure as hell can smell the difference between my piss bottle and a soggy scrape. Just take a fresh tarsal gland and your piss bottle and tell me you can’t tell the difference. Will peeing out of your tree scare a big buck away, I’ll never know. After spending an entire year putting myself in the right place I don’t think testing the pissing theory is worth it. Like everyone else I had stories told to me about tending scrapes by peeing on them, I won’t even walk near a scrape let alone pee in one. One thing the pee pro guys all have in common, they kill a 2 ½ year old every 5 years or so. There is one important thing we have to keep in mind, do the pro pee people hunt where you might see a mature a season if you do everything right or do they hunt where you’re allowed 6 bucks a year.

G

#3 pond jumper

pond jumper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationDouglas Harbour

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:21 PM

Im with gchase on this one...despite the fact that every mammals urine is made of basically the same thing...different animals def have diff smells and it would not suprise me a bit if a mature buck has learned over the years to associate the smell of human urin with hunters..or atleast know that its def pee from an animal they are not used to smelling so they may play it safe and stay away...i personally dont wanna take that chance

Blood, sweat and FEATHERS!!

Winchester 1300 12ga

Ithica SKB semi auto 12 ga

Remington  870 wingmaster 12ga

T/C dimension 22-250rem

Savage Axis .308win

Marlin 336  30-30win

Savage 93  17hmr

Rem 597 22lr

Marlin 795 .22lr

#4 Sako

Sako

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationIN the woods

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:18 AM

There used to be a show on Michigan PBS called Fred Trosts Michigan outdoors. He challenged the deer urine industry about the authenticity of deer urine. He spent the money to have the bottled deer urine analized and broken down and most had an active ingredient identified as URHEA. Which turned out to be basically dried human urine. He also tested human bottled urine against deer urine, collected from a farmed whitetail and found the deer reacted the same for both. THey did the same lip curl, taste sample, and urinated a bit. He won the court case but in doing so bankrupted himself and his TV show. After that if it ws deer urine it could be labelled as such but if it was synthetics or not deer urine it had to be labelled as such. Personally I don't carry a bottle but don't usually hunt from stands. If I'm still hunting and have to go, I'll find a water source, urinate and doe bleat or grunt.

#5 T-Rex

T-Rex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:26 AM

Well, I am pretty much totall against the grain here...I have always heard about the need to pee in a bottle and all that jazz. When I have to go...she goes over the side of the stand and onto the ground....and the deer never stop coming. I have never even had one go over and sniff the spot where I peed just minutes before. That being said, I hunt in a semi-urban area where there is lots of human activity as well as machinery most of the year. I am convinced that deer react only if they detect something abnormal with 2 of their senses. If it seems normal to them, it dosn't bother them. I have hunted the big woods on crown land in my past as well (no deer left there now: different topic) and I would never pee out of a stand there because the deer definitly would react to it. So what I am saying is...it depends on the deer and the their habitat whether or not they will react....this is just my observation

#6 Rub liners

Rub liners

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:07 AM

Well, I am pretty much totall against the grain here...I have always heard about the need to pee in a bottle and all that jazz. When I have to go...she goes over the side of the stand and onto the ground....and the deer never stop coming. I have never even had one go over and sniff the spot where I peed just minutes before. That being said, I hunt in a semi-urban area where there is lots of human activity as well as machinery most of the year. I am convinced that deer react only if they detect something abnormal with 2 of their senses. If it seems normal to them, it dosn't bother them. I have hunted the big woods on crown land in my past as well (no deer left there now: different topic) and I would never pee out of a stand there because the deer definitly would react to it. So what I am saying is...it depends on the deer and the their habitat whether or not they will react....this is just my observation

I agree. I hunt on a private farm, and have seen the deer have a lot higher tolerance for humans than they might have in a different setting. Things like noise, movement, and human scent seem to be more acceptable to them. They definitely still notice things, but might not bolt for the next county upon sensing human activity. I'm not saying its the same across the board, but seems to be the case in my own personal experience.

#7 alarsene

alarsene

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:39 AM

I pee all around my stand and never have a problem.
I get my buck every 10 years or so.
A drop of skunk pee freshens everything back to nature.

#8 adamNB1

adamNB1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:16 PM

I would think that a mature buck would rather not smell foreign urine around his travel routs. So I don't do it. Mature bucks don't throw caution to the wind like younger bucks do.. so it really depends on what you're after.
If you put soo much time and effort trying to covertly position yourself in the vicinity of the mature buck, it defies logic (in my opinion) to then blatantly announce your presents by peeing in that area.
Character: how you treat those who can do nothing for you

#9 gchase

gchase

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:18 PM

Sako good to see you posting, it’s been a while. I have a fried that has hunted with many times for bears, he is an avid bowhunter. His passion is deer, mature bucks and has his own farm raised deer. Each year he would bring me ½ a quart of doe urine collected while his does were in heat. He did hundreds of tests with market bottles of deer pee and found like the test your referring to the same results. His bucks would go through the entire process one time and one time only. The only time he could trick his bucks would be by asking a friend to pee some where in his pen. I think you could get an elephant to pee in a scrape and a buck may test it once. I’m not going to go into just how sophisticated a deer’s nose is but my money is on him on the “old fool me once” line.

Strange things happen while hunting and positive results sometimes give us the illusion, the end result was because of some artificial gimmick. I remember sitting talking to a group of guy involved with the trade when one said I think I can sell hunters DIRT. He had a line of scents in snuff tins and sure enough he came out with one that smelled like dirt.

G

#10 Sako

Sako

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationIN the woods

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:59 PM

I used to do a lot of bear baiting for a friend and for myself. My friend had a client that insisted on smoking a cigar at least once every evening. He wasn't seeing much as bears notice different things and cigar smoke was something I could smell 500 yards from him. The next spring I decided to try something different. Every time I baited the stand that hunter wanted to use I lit a cigar at my bike went in to the bait and rebaited, all time spent with a rancid cigar in my mouth. Wasn't long before the bears seemed to associte cigar stink with bait. I had many encounters with bears on the way in and out from the bait. The hunters showed up and I took him to his special stand with a cigar in my mouth. He got in the stand, I banged the buckets around and went back to the truck. 25 minutes later he shot the fourth bear to appear and it was a touch over 300 pounds. He bragged to his friends later that evening that all the action took place while he was smoking a cigar. I know this is off topic but gchase's post brought it back. And it does show you can change animal's and tturn their fear into desire.

#11 abuckisabuck

abuckisabuck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:14 PM

I've seen deer stand inches from where I 'let er go' without seemingly giving a care at all. Probably because everthing pee's in the woods I guess. But I do believe that when a deer approaches a bait site of any similare situation,because of all the caution that we've all seen then exhibit, a strong urine odor could be more than enough for that deer to give you a wide birth.

X2 on the bear tactic. I learned from some old fellas to do the same thing to accustom bears to my body odor and fly dope etc by leaving a rag wiped full of my pit sweat and sprayed with dope, you know the tric. It at times takes long for the site to get action, but not by more than a day or two and once they work up the courage to approach, like you've said Sako, they associate that with the bait and will tollerate your presence even when fully downwind of you unless you have some out of the ordinary odor on you so it pays to still take care of that as per usual.

#12 jay

jay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:26 AM

I always set up a scrape near my bait pile and I always pee right on it everytime I go by and stir it up , and the concensus is
Posted Image
it doesnt scare them and I think it attracts the bucks
just my opinion

#13 gchase

gchase

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:19 PM

Jay that’s a strong illustration of something that worked for you, I’m thinking the apples had a bit to do with the kill. I notice you close with “just my opinion”, I can tell you a lot of guys share that same opinion and in a lot of cases are able to post pictures perhaps not as dramatic as yours but along the same lines. Unfortunately I can’t post a single photo of a mature whitetail sulking away 75 yards down wind out of sight with his tail tucked in because I decided it was OK to pee out of my stand.

I think anyone bothering to post their “opinion” on any topic and finish their post with “just my opinion” are doing themselves an injustice. I say post with conviction and let the readers have at it. It would be nice if everyone posted with the strength Jay used, but I’m still carrying my pee bottle.

G.

#14 adamNB1

adamNB1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:06 PM

I will also submit this, simply because I've encountered it in two book so far. There is a distinction between peeing in a scrape that a buck is tending and just peeing in a random spot. It's believed (at least by these two authors) that a buck will be motivate by the former, and put-off by the latter.
I would certainly agree with gchase' comments on the above picture .. it's not possible to get pictures of the deer that you didn't see (as result of your pee), and therefore, the picture evidence holds very little weight as far as comparing the two methods (peeing versus not peeing). What it does show, is that this particular deer, on that day, didn't seem to mind. Maybe there are other like him. Maybe they are all like him! I would think that if you can pull this off on a consistent basis, you might have something.
Character: how you treat those who can do nothing for you

#15 utopiahunter

utopiahunter

utopiahunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts
  • Locationlake utopia

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:01 PM

let's all go pee in a scrape and hang a cam on it....lol

#16 browning

browning

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Locationriverview

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:11 PM

I think hunting the same stand, 3 daysin a row does more damage to scent control than having the odd p*ss.

#17 WAMT

WAMT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:50 AM

There used to be a show on Michigan PBS called Fred Trosts Michigan outdoors. He challenged the deer urine industry about the authenticity of deer urine. He spent the money to have the bottled deer urine analized and broken down and most had an active ingredient identified as URHEA. Which turned out to be basically dried human urine. He also tested human bottled urine against deer urine, collected from a farmed whitetail and found the deer reacted the same for both. THey did the same lip curl, taste sample, and urinated a bit. He won the court case but in doing so bankrupted himself and his TV show. After that if it ws deer urine it could be labelled as such but if it was synthetics or not deer urine it had to be labelled as such. Personally I don't carry a bottle but don't usually hunt from stands. If I'm still hunting and have to go, I'll find a water source, urinate and doe bleat or grunt.

x1,000

You are an American bozzo if you pee in a bottle. If deer where that affraid of our urine they would never move around in the woods.

I've tested it will my trail cam. Take a piss, put out feed and then leave. What do you know...5.5 year old buck comes in at the same time as the day defore.....and then the next day....

Side note, I highly doubt the wild west boys (Sask or Alb) pee in bottles and they shoot/see lots of mature bucks. Lack of deer in NB is the biggest reason why we don't see alot of mature bucks.

#18 WAMT

WAMT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:55 AM

I always set up a scrape near my bait pile and I always pee right on it everytime I go by and stir it up , and the concensus is
Posted Image
it doesnt scare them and I think it attracts the bucks
just my opinion

Good for you Jay. Don't listen to GChase anyway....he's already ruined his credibility on this site and other sites. He's the world photoshop champion.

#19 redtail

redtail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:43 PM

Deer get accustomed to any human activity as long as it is routine and deemed harmless to them.

I've walked right up to deer while talking to them.

It is when you start sneaking around and acting covertly that they get alarmed.

#20 300RUM Hunter

300RUM Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationPetitcodiac

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:26 AM

One night a few years back about 40 mins before dark, I couldn't hold off any longer, I left my stand, walked about 15 yards, dug a hole, relieved myself and filled the hole back in. 20 minutes later I heard a deer trotting down the path where I just gone and I thought, great I'm busted. I got situated for a shot and noticed a nice 3.5yr old 7 point travelling pretty quickly with his head on the ground and immediately stopped up and started pawing and rooting in that very hole. Needless to say that was the wrong move on his part. I'm not saying this works every time but ever since then, I have not been as concerned with relieving myself.

Jaret Lewis

My weapons of choice:

Remmy 700 BDL-LH 300RUM with a bedded action, floated barrel, and a 4.5-30x50 Bushnell Elite 6500 on top

Remmy 700 XHR 30-06 with a Leupold 3-9x50 VX-II on top

Remmy 700 BDL-LH 22-250 with an American made Redfield Illuminator 3-12x56 w/ target turrets on top

Browning BPS 12ga Upland Special

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users