Slug870

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • LocationBurton

Posted 04 August 2011 - 06:10 PM

Hey all,

Well as the season gets closer by the day, I find myself wanting to get out there and get my scouting going, stand built and camera up. I was wondering though, what do you all use for bait? As this is only my second year of deer hunting, I am certainly not a seasoned pro, so I figured I'd ask some of the guys who have been doing it for years. I used apples last year, but I hear people talk a lot about salt licks being very good to use. Are salt licks legal to use for deer? If so, have any of you used them with decent success? Where can a guy get some?

I appreciate any advice offered, thank you.

#2 ArcheryAddiction

ArcheryAddiction

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:23 PM

Well yes, Salt licks, or mineral licks do work, but its to late for that now, Its more of a summer thing to put your camera over and get pics of deer, come hunting season they could care less about that. I start of baiting with crack corn or whole corn, and them when apples are availble I start using them.

If it where me I would still start a mineral station, but know that its not gonna be for this year, Then next year, replenish it and set ur camera up in may, that way there you can see what deer are in the area.

#3 daveyn

daveyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationHarewood NB

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:49 PM

Or you could choose not to bait at all and instead devote some time and effort into studying deer habits and habitat, learn some woods craft skills, spend hunting season walking around in the nice fall weather get to know the ground and seek out the elusive whitetail like your grand dad used to do.
but then again sitting in a tree all day watching a pile of apples or corn waiting for a deer to show up does have a certain romantic "man against nature" appeal to it don't you think ?
If you keep doing what you've always done you'll keep getting what you've always got...

#4 ArcheryAddiction

ArcheryAddiction

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:06 PM

Ya it takes zero skill to shoot a big buck over apples piles, It happens everyday, If you cant do it you suck and dont no anything about hunting. Also you are less of a hunter for hunting with bait.

#5 ArcheryAddiction

ArcheryAddiction

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:08 PM

Also if your an archery hunter and you spend your time walking around the woods, Good luck, sure it can be done but its 500 percent harder then doing it walking around the woods with a gun.

#6 ArcheryAddiction

ArcheryAddiction

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:09 PM

Baiting is such a sure fire thing, thats why our harvest rate is SO SO HIGH.

#7 Bradley

Bradley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:27 PM

I dunno to hear some tell it if one was to guard the apple pile with a crossbow ..... The population would be wiped out before November.

#8 hvywght

hvywght

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationCentral NB

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:34 PM

I say to each his own,I'm not sure I would anyway but I just don't have the time to bait in the summer or early fall.I have the same idea about hunting as daveyn but maybe thats why I've only killed a handful of deer.I think that guys that don't bait think the "baiters" are maybe stealing their deer although I don't.I actually think when u bait you're sometimes reducing your chances of killing a real mature buck because they know their area well enough to know apples didn't fall from the sky.I've met u PSEHunter and I think you are a proven true sportsman so don't feel like you have to defend yourself but there will always be that debate amoung hunters.WE HERE ARE ALL HUNTERS and hunters fall is in the air,I love it.

#9 Slug870

Slug870

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • LocationBurton

Posted 04 August 2011 - 09:09 PM

Or you could choose not to bait at all and instead devote some time and effort into studying deer habits and habitat, learn some woods craft skills, spend hunting season walking around in the nice fall weather get to know the ground and seek out the elusive whitetail like your grand dad used to do.
but then again sitting in a tree all day watching a pile of apples or corn waiting for a deer to show up does have a certain romantic "man against nature" appeal to it don't you think ?

Well thank you for your constructive and helpful post. When you're ready, give me a call and I'll come over with a sturdy stepping stool to help you down off your high horse to wade into the lowly populace known as us common folk...

You are entitled to your opinion. Just keep in mind, opinions are like a**holes; everybody's got one, but people seldom want to hear anyone else's... just like "grand dad" used to say. If you choose not to hunt over bait that's fine, but please don't force your views on other hunters who do.

Thank you and best of luck in the upcoming season.

#10 utopiahunter

utopiahunter

utopiahunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts
  • Locationlake utopia

Posted 04 August 2011 - 09:22 PM

apples are the way to go if ur going to bait but dont use paula reds they suck. later in the season i prefer to call and rattle though .I have shot big bucks both ways and they are both as chalageing.trick is make shure theres a buck in your area that you want.

#11 jabers34

jabers34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationCumberland Bay

Posted 05 August 2011 - 12:31 AM

I do both hunt over bait and cruise the woods . I find crab apples and corn work the best around home.

#12 Country Man

Country Man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • LocationEast Branch NB

Posted 05 August 2011 - 05:11 AM

I dunno to hear some tell it if one was to guard the apple pile with a crossbow ..... The population would be wiped out before November.

Nuthin' to do with this topic! :rolleyes:
"The Whitetail Bloodtrails"

#13 Country Man

Country Man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • LocationEast Branch NB

Posted 05 August 2011 - 05:24 AM

Come on man!!! There's no need for posts like this... :(
"The Whitetail Bloodtrails"

#14 Want a Moose Tag

Want a Moose Tag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • LocationFredericton

Posted 05 August 2011 - 06:13 AM

Hey all,

Well as the season gets closer by the day, I find myself wanting to get out there and get my scouting going, stand built and camera up. I was wondering though, what do you all use for bait? As this is only my second year of deer hunting, I am certainly not a seasoned pro, so I figured I'd ask some of the guys who have been doing it for years. I used apples last year, but I hear people talk a lot about salt licks being very good to use. Are salt licks legal to use for deer? If so, have any of you used them with decent success? Where can a guy get some?

I appreciate any advice offered, thank you.

There are three good bait sources for feeding/hunting but it depends on how strong your back is..lol.

Beef mash (mix of corn, oats and molasses) - great for deer but may attract bears.
Alfalfa cubs (just alfalfa condensed into small cubs) - great for deer but not every deer will eat this right of way. Good news is that it doesn't attract bears and is light to carry.

Both of the above can be bought at Co-op Farm or Shur-gain

The traditional method is apples - they are simple and attract deer and bears. The problem is that they don't last very long (small meal for deer and more work for you)

My suggestion is to scout and determine which areas look good (trails, tracks, droppings, etc) then go back and test bait those areas with 10 pounds of beef mash and 6-12 apples. Put up a trail camera if you have one or more. If there are deer in the area the food will be gone the next time you go out. The trick is to figure out how often they are coming to the bait/feed. Depending on the amount of deer in the area, you could end up restocking daily (especially with apples unless you can back a half ton in...lol)

I wouldn't bother baiting until the first or second week of Sept. Hopefully you tag out the first day because it can be a long season if you bait all the way until the end.

Don't worry about the anti-baiters on here, the overwhelming majority of hunters today bait to increase their odds or they sit in camp and drink...lol.

#15 Mister November

Mister November

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Locationin the woods of course

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:36 AM

really guys....
does it matter how one goes about his deer hunt?

I will say for the first 15 yrs of deer hunting i tramped the woods from day light to dark!
Yes i shot deer...yes i shot bucks...and i shot does!
but i have had the best luck sitting over apples that i put out!

BUT if you think it is easy to go pick your apples lug them to your stand....drop about 150 lbs the first time you put them down and then lug them in each time you go to hunt!!!!
Plus build a blind big enough for you and a buddy to hunt out of!

i know i have done it every year for the last few years....especially when you invite the gf to go with you....so not only are you setting up one stand but 2!

I look forward to EVERY hunting season but i dont look forward to prepping my area!

so it is not just sitting over a pile of apples....it does take work.

AND YES.....i still do my scouting....i look for deer sign....put out my spring mineral staion
i tramp the woods to see what the area is like...what's moving and where!
I also do some winter scouting of my area also....see the deer movement..
so...as far as doing my work before the season...i think as a bait deer hunter....i do what i need to as far as scouting!
I will sit in the morning but i also do my 2-3 hours of walking before and after lunch.....then sit at nite!

The main reason why i sit now....is because i survived a bad head on car collision which put me in the hospital for 7 1/2 months.
my right leg has 2 metal rods in it....my right foot is full of pins,plates and screws!
i broke my top femur in 7 places!!! i had to learn how to walk all over again....doc told me i never walk again....but i am too stubborn to give up that easily.My leg was so messed up that the doctor was gonna cut it off at the hip at first!
i could go on and on about my broken bones metal plates rods screws pins that i have in my body...which covers 75% of my body but i think you get my point.

and i will tell you....that when it comes to deer hunting and getting out in the woods...most of my friends that i hunt with ....have a hard time keeping up with me day after day in the woods!!!!

mind you....i will admit...i am damm beat and some friggin sore at the end of the day....but i take my handful of pills....hot bath ...and back at it again before daylight the next day!

so....as i say...does it matter why or how any of us hunt our deer....i dont think so....we are all out there to enjoy nature....the peace and quiet of being in the woods....and enjoying something that we all treasure here...and most of all...we leave our busy and stressful lives behind us when we walk out that door in the morning to head to the woods!!

just be thankful that we can do that!!!

sorry guys but i had to give my 2 cents here!!!!

on another note....best of luck to all you this deer season!!!
If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it.
team 2....the rest will just be wide eyes with envy!

#16 mu'in

mu'in

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,305 posts
  • LocationSi-nan'-sis

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:46 AM

so....as i say...does it matter why or how any of us hunt our deer....i dont think so....we are all out there to enjoy nature....the peace and quiet of being in the woods....and enjoying something that we all treasure here...and most of all...we leave our busy and stressful lives behind us when we walk out that door in the morning to head to the woods!!

X2

Ya know, really, if you want to bait - bait, if you only want to still hunt, fine as well.

Heck do both.. and cover all bases. :)

Now to the Question @ hand - Im pretty sure if you drop apples out in a area with deer, Its a pretty safe bet they will show up.

Ethics -- Real Ethics are how you act when no one else is watching.

- Browning BLR PG, .300wsm

- Savage Model 11, .243

- My trusty 1958 Winchester model 12, 12ga

- Limbsaver dz30, Easton FMJ and a muzzy

#17 charse

charse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 12:26 PM

I agree with Country Man
NO need !!!!

#18 daveyn

daveyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationHarewood NB

Posted 06 August 2011 - 02:08 PM

I've got no issue with stand hunting, its a tried and true effective way to harvest deer and for archery hunting its really the only option. BUT you ask for opinions on baiting in an open forum and you're going to get them, if my opinion makes me an ******* because its different than yours then you really don't want opinions, you just want people to agree with you. I think baiting is wrong, I think it should be illegal (and it is in a lot of places), I think it makes us lazy hunters (I know I'm going to get the story about lugging apples all year long through storms and mudslides and how much work it is, but you clearly think its easier than other forms of hunting or you wouldn't do it) and it teaches you nothing. Its not hunting in my opnion it just going out to shoot something and very little skill is involved, its the easiest way to get a deer and thats why people do it, to "get a deer". Which is not what hunting is about.
Having said that, stand hunting is not the same as baiting.
Thats my opnion, I don't expect everybody to agree with it and as long as what you are doing is legal then go have a ball, just don't expect me to sit quietly and not express how I feel about it, especially when a hunter brand new to the sport is starting out by dumping apples on the ground and nobody is taking the time to try and teach hunting skills.
My opinion !!!
If you keep doing what you've always done you'll keep getting what you've always got...

#19 ArcheryAddiction

ArcheryAddiction

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 02:23 PM

I definatly agree that baiting makes it easier, but its still not easy. He didnt asked what you tough of baiting he asked what you use and how you bait. Also baiting is just one of many ways we hunt. Sure I do bait, I usually bait 3 spots. BUT I have over 15 stands that I hunt. So baiting doesnt make me a so called LAZY hunter, I beleieve I and many other guys who bait are far from lazy hunters, Bowtech would be another example I know he baits, but I also know he isnt a lazy hunter but is far from it. I will bet you would be hard pressed to find someone on this forum who puts the leg work in that he does. I HUNT hard, I walk miles and miles all summer and all hunting season and even more miles after hunting season. Just because I have a few spots where I put apples out to help me out I dont think im lazy. The deer I harvested last year was in a spot where I started to bait in the first week of september, As soon as the bait was out, the deer was gone, Never had a pictures of him again until the day before bow season, needless to say I learned very quick last year not to bait there anymore, and I stopped about the second week on september. Never put out bait again, but also never had a picture or sighting of the buck until I shot him. I definatly think its gonna be hard to shoot a big buck over apples. But Im still gonna bait a few spots this year, and thats my rite to do so, when they tell me its illegal to do so well Ill stop. As far as the other spots where it illegal, I bet ya 3/4 of the hunters, are hunting over FOOD plots, witch in my mind are very similar to bait.

Lazy hunters, sure I think there is lots of them out there, but just cause you bait doesnt put you in the category in my mind.

#20 utopiahunter

utopiahunter

utopiahunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts
  • Locationlake utopia

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:49 PM

just a little of topic now ...you can get salt licks at shure gain feed stores but in my experence they don't work well in my area but the guys inland seem to have good luck with them.from what i here...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users