#1 Big Bore

Big Bore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • LocationNorth East

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:23 PM

I was reading on the NS site a guy from Halifax say that he has been snaring bears with his father for 6 or 7 years . Ever heard of that before? I wonder if thats legal ? Be like snaring a deer or moose ? Wonder what kind of wire they use ? I was thinking you would probably catch a lot of other stuff by accident at the same time . What do you think of that?????

#2 chadman

chadman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationSouth Eastern New Brunswick

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:28 PM

doesn't sound legal to me.. I'm not aware of any season like that for bears in NB. Ya agreed that there would be chance of incidental snarings (deer/moose or anything large enough to get caught) would be hard to believe that it is allowed any where in CDA.
QDM - Plant a seed - make a difference

Hoyt Trykon XL @ 70lbs.. 2219 @ 29 in.. Muzzy 4 Blade 125gr = game, death... match!!

#3 Bowtech

Bowtech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts
  • LocationBelleisle Creek

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:41 PM

It is legal in NS where bears are classed as furbearers but not in NB where they are classed big game. The snares used are leg snares set on the trail or contained in a bucket. I have one of the Belleisle leg snares for bears but never had a chance to try it out other than just playing around. Kind of acts like the ram snare only lifts it onto the leg. Not much chance of catching anything else in the way it would be set. Wouldn't want to try and release a bobcat though :lol:
Bowtech Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

#4 chadman

chadman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationSouth Eastern New Brunswick

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:03 PM

interesting..
QDM - Plant a seed - make a difference

Hoyt Trykon XL @ 70lbs.. 2219 @ 29 in.. Muzzy 4 Blade 125gr = game, death... match!!

#5 NBG

NBG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Locationeverywhere

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:21 AM

We do it in Maine also. Works great on a big nocturnal bear. Still not as easy as it sounds though.
time to go ice fishing

#6 KPR

KPR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:49 AM

NS trappers can potentially take 3 bears per season...legally.
Snare two and hunt one.
They use leg/holding snares,choke snares are illegal.
I have heard of catch and release on smaller bears but its rare and takes a "special" kinda guy to do it... :blink:
I wouldn't reccomend it... :lol:
Set at baitsites done the same as you would for hunting,find a spot the bears repetitavely travel or setup your bait barrel accordingly and set it up.
Once a baitsite becomes active with multiple bears visiting chances of other big critters coming in to the barrel are low to none.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users