#1 HoytBoy

HoytBoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Locationsouthern nb

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:02 AM

I would really like to kill a booner bear and make a rug but have never cut bear meat before. I have never done this because everyone I have talked to about it has told me that the big bears are not fit to eat[tough]. But I could'nt morally speaking see myself wasting a whole animal just for the trophy. So is there anyone who hunts bear with any regularity that could give some advice as to what cuts of meat are good and how to cut one up and how long do you let em hang. I have cut deer,moose,beef etc before but am clueless as to how to cut up a bear. I have a homemade cooler for hangin so I am really willing to try it at least once.

#2 NBG

NBG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Locationeverywhere

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:19 AM

I would really like to kill a booner bear and make a rug but have never cut bear meat before. I have never done this because everyone I have talked to about it has told me that the big bears are not fit to eat[tough]. But I could'nt morally speaking see myself wasting a whole animal just for the trophy. So is there anyone who hunts bear with any regularity that could give some advice as to what cuts of meat are good and how to cut one up and how long do you let em hang. I have cut deer,moose,beef etc before but am clueless as to how to cut up a bear. I have a homemade cooler for hangin so I am really willing to try it at least once.

You kill a booner bear (21" skull) and I'll help you cut it up. Where you located??
time to go ice fishing

#3 HoytBoy

HoytBoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Locationsouthern nb

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:37 AM

I'm located in the hoyt area hence the name hoytboy. I know it is not easy to kill a 20" bear but our area has some big bears living close to where I hunt. The area here is loaded with lots of food for them and it's not uncommon to see a monster or two every year. I'm no expert on the subject but have seen on more than one occasion boars that could possibly be that caliber of bear. The local guides in our area have taken some between 400-500lbs on rare occasions so I think the potential is definitly here to havest a booner. I would appreciate any advice on the subject and thanks for the reply.

#4 trapper2011

trapper2011

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 10:28 AM

they are out there we got one last spring at big paw outfitters going in booner

#5 redtail

redtail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:22 PM

I've done a couple of bear. Both were good eating. Nothing fancy for me. All I did was cut the meat off the bone in reasonable size chunks and froze it.

Before investing a lot of work in butchering, I would cook a piece and try it. I found it real good cold and in sandwiches. Heart and liver were good too.

I didn't hang either bear for long - only a day or so.

#6 chadman

chadman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts
  • LocationSouth Eastern New Brunswick

Posted 30 January 2011 - 06:39 PM

anyone every make any hot italian sausages out of their bear meat? wondering how it would be..
QDM - Plant a seed - make a difference

Hoyt Trykon XL @ 70lbs.. 2219 @ 29 in.. Muzzy 4 Blade 125gr = game, death... match!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users